Saturday, July 5, 2014

DAY 8: COLCA CANYON



Uff... Today we started our day at 5:30 in the morning since we had an outing to the canyon to go see the condors and they only fly in the early morning!

We got breakfast and were almost ready to go when we figured out that the room key was locked in the room! We asked for the spare key and they said they didn't have one because it was a new lock! Come on!!! What kind of hotel doesn't have spare keys? Anyway, it took at least 15 mins and they couldn't find it! Ricardo, our tour guide, was ready to break the door but first they all went outside to see if there was a way to get in through the windows. Long story short.. After 20 mins the guy at the front desk pulled out a key from the drawer with a sticker that said "203"... The key was there the whole time!!! No comments...

My roommate and I ran to the bus and we ready for our hike in the canyon!

The canyon is HUGE!!!! Such beautiful place!


We started our hike by spotting a condor (well, I might get their names confused so I'll call them all condors) seating by a rock... A baby condor!


The more we walked the more we saw condors. The local guide, Pablito, said that we were very lucky because sometimes you can only see a couple and at times no condors are spotted!

Probably ¾ of the way we stopped at a view point and OMG... Condors were flying above us!!!!! We were so excited! Those things were MASSIVE as well as beautiful! I don't think I have ever seen a condor but these things blew my mind!!!!!

We spent a lot of time trying to take a couple of decent pictures and I'm pretty happy with some of my shots:





Here's my first hiking wound... Ouch!



After the hike we went up to the viewpoint where many ladies in traditional costumes were selling souvenirs... I didn't but anything but I made sure to take a lot of pictures of the ladies! Their costumes and colors are just so beautiful!


On our way back to Chivay we stopped at some other viewpoints and had some more opportunities to buy stuff (or take pictures)






Our last stop was in the town close to the hot springs (since some of the guys left their swimming trucks at the hot springs we were dropped off in the centro while Ricardo went to look for them.) I entered a little shop and found this woman working on her sewing machine... I just knew I had to take her picture!

Back in Chivay I rested for a little but and in the afternoon went for a city stroll.
We first hiked up a little inca trail to a viewpoint where we could appreciate Chivay a little better. Oh my! The 10 min hike left me without breath! I can't imagine what will happen to me in the 4-day inca trail hike... Lord have mercy!!!!





We then went back to the centro and Sam, Jason, and I decided to take a moto taxi to the entrance of the city and explore a little.






At night some of us went for dinner at a local restaurant with a free show.
The dancers got some of the guys out of their chairs and dancing. 
The highlight of the night was when Jay was asked to dance and then put a traditional Peruvian costume... The lady one! Lol












 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment