Monday, July 14, 2014

DAY 11: CUSCO

So today I woke up feeling a little better than yesterday and decided to go explore a little more the city of Cusco! 
I took a free walking tour of tour of Cusco that was actually really good.
Our first stop was at a restaurant where we tried Alpaca in garlic sauce and pisco... I tried it but since I don't eat meat I can only say that it probably tasted like steak!

After a bite of Alpaca Luis, our local tour guide, showed us a church up the hill and made us hike like 7-10 mins up the hill... I was out of breath... OMG! I'll die in the inca trail!

The view from the church was phenomenal, we could see the plaza de armas and the mountains surrounding Cusco.




Next we took a bus to el Cristo Blanco in the Saqsaywaman area. I can't recall anything about the Christ but I remember that Saqsaywaman was an old inca temple that if seen from above it is ( or was) shaped as a Andean Puma.
Here's Luis, our a passionate guide

After a short walk through some alpaca fields we ended up in a shot where they make clothes out of alpaca wool. They use all natural coloring and showed us the different natural pigments such as muña (mint), maiz morado, cheche, quinoa etc. We ended the tour in the shop by the guy showing us how to differentiate from alpaca to fake alpaca or baby alpaca. He basically said that if it is from the markets and it's cheap it is synthetic and not real alpaca.

We left the tour early and went for some lunch at Chicha!
The restaurant is on the 2nd floor of a beautiful white colonial house with blue railings... I loved the combination!

The restaurant itself seemed elegant and chic! 


My favorite part was the view from my seat:

For lunch we ordered a Kapchi de setas y habas

Followed by Estofado de hongos

And finally ended with some complimentary tiny dessert... Yummm

In the afternoon we visited Qorikancha, an inca temple that is now inside of a convent. I believe that qorikancha was the main temple of the Inca empire and after the Spanish conquest the Spaniards took it and it was then donated to the Dominican order and they converted it into a convent. The building itself was very beautiful and still have some inca structures.







At night, me and a couple of the people decided to go to a fabulous dinner at Limo!

Here is what we had:
Golden fried yuca balls with Andean cheese
Vegetarian Ceviche
Arroz chaufa
Lomo con risotto al ají
Pollo relleno

And for dessert... Lasagna de Shapiro and King Kong (sort of des constructed alfajor with fruit)


Once our tummies were satisfied we went to Mythology for some salsa dancing!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment